2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound fresh crimini mushrooms, sliced (about 5 cups)
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
2 cans (13-3/4 ounces each) ready-to-serve reduced sodium vegetable broth
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup water
2 cans (15 ounces each) reduced sodium white (cannellini) beans, drained
1. In a Dutch oven or large saucepot, heat oil until hot.
2. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic and thyme; cook and stir until onion is very tender and mushrooms are slightly golden, about 7 minutes.
3. Add broth, tomatoes with their liquid, and water; bring to a boil; cover and simmer to blend flavors, about 15 mintues.
4. In a small bowl, mash 1 cup of the beans until smooth; add to stew. Stir in remaining beans; heat until hot.
5. Serve immediately with a mound of steamed rice if desired.