1 . DRESSING
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
2 . SALAD
1 cup dried lentils, sorted, rinsed
3 cups water
1 1/2 cup frozen whole corn kernels, unsalted
2 medium (1 cup) carrots, thinly sliced
2 medium stalks (1/2 cup) celery, chopped
1 medium (1 cup) red bell peppers, chopped
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
4 leaves red or green leaf lettuce
1. In small jar with tight-fitting lid, place dressing ingredients; shake well. Refrigerate.
2. In 2-quart saucepan, heat lentils and 3 cups water to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until lentils are tender but not mushy. Drain. Rinse with cold water to cool; drain well.
3. Meanwhile, cook corn as directed on bag. Drain. Rinse with cold water to cool; drain well.
4. In large bowl, stir together cooked lentils, corn and remaining salad ingredients except lettuce. Pour dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors.
5. To serve, line plates with lettuce. Spoon salad onto lettuce.